Wednesday, April 25, 2012

This bread is bananas. B-A-N-A-N-A-S.

I've always been a master procrastinator, but Spring 2012 has been the semester of baking. Why do schoolwork when I can make stuff that I can stuff my face with?

Someone told me you can freeze bananas for later use in banana bread. This was great news because whenever I buy bananas, I get sick of them before I finish the bunch. One or two get all brown and gross, and I chuck them into the woods outside my apartment in hopes that local deer or squirrels will enjoy the potassi-yummy goodness.

When my next banana started to turn, I just threw the whole thing in the freezer.  I wasn't really thinking ahead.

solid as a rock
Oh let me be your sledgehammer.

A better idea is to cut the banana into pieces and put them in a freezer bag.

smaller pieces, though size doesn't matter
Don't mind the freezerburn.

Thankfully, bananas thaw quickly.  When they do, you basically throw everything into a bowl, mix it up, pour it in a pan, and bake it.

bread!
Bready to eat!

It tastes good, and it makes your home smell good.  And if you're like me and require constant validation, bring a loaf to work and bask in compliments.

Banana Banana Bread (Allrecipes)

Ingredients
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter, softened
3/4 cup brown sugar
2 eggs, beaten
2 1/3 cups mashed overripe bananas

Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
  2. Lightly grease a loaf pan.
  3. Combine flour, baking soda and salt in a large bowl.
  4. Combine butter, and brown sugar in a separate bowl.  Stir in eggs and bananas until well-blended.  
  5. Add banana mixture to flour mixture, stir until moistened.
  6. Pour batter into pan, bake for 60-65 minutes.
  7. When the toothpick test says its done, remove from oven and let cool in pan for 10 minutes.
  8. Flip bread out onto a wire rack and let sit until cool.
  9. Cut and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment