Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Crazy Lazy Greek Salad

Google "I hate red onions" to
see this and more!
I've written about Greek Salad before, and my love for it has not wavered.  Unfortunately, my tolerance for onions - particularly red onions - has waned.  I made a big batch of Greek Salad about a month ago and picked out all the onions.  What a waste.

The recipe above is not difficult, but I was feeling particularly lazy and not at all in the mood for onions.  So here's what I did.
  1. Chopped up a tomato. I like the kind that is sold attached to the vine.
  2. Chopped up part of a cucumber.
  3. Chopped up a clove of garlic.
  4. Threw the above into a bowl.
  5. Splashed with Italian dressing, just enough to coat. 
  6. Sprinkled feta. Currently loving Athenos Garlic & Herb.
  7. Added a few pitted kalamata olives.
  8. Profit!
Notes:
  • I like this make-as-you-go approach way better than making a big batch of salad at once and keeping for several days. Chopped tomatoes that have been sitting in dressing for over a day get mushy and gross.  
  • The garlic was a good onion substitute. It provided bite without, well, being an onion.  
  • The smallest garlic clove is more than enough. Anything larger and I could singlehandedly protect the Capital District from vampires.
  • Next time, I may go wild and buy a bottle of Greek dressing, but I already had Italian in the fridge and thought it tasted just fine. Plain old olive oil would probably work too.
You may be thinking, "This girl is a hack. This isn't even a recipe! It's more like 'throw random shit in a bowl and it will magically become delicious salad.'" To you I say, as long as Food Network considers Rachael Ray's Late Night Bacon a recipe, I will consider myself a salad visionary - AKA, suck it.

No comments:

Post a Comment