Saturday, November 26, 2011

A Very Reluctant Thanksgiving, Part 1

Thanksgiving has always been my favorite holiday.  I have many fond memories of my grandmother and aunt serving up delicious food amid lively conversation with family and friends.  Over time, each Thanksgiving dinner grew smaller as my family members grew up, moved out, started families, or passed away.  Sad, but that's how life goes.

This Thanksgiving, I hosted my father and brother.  I have never hosted Thanksgiving by myself.  I still haven't, but this is the closest I've come.  

My dad was in charge of the turkey, and I took care of everything else.  I have newfound respect for my grandmother, aunt, and other Thanksgiving-hosts-of-the-past and the countless hours they spent preparing feasts to feed at least a dozen hungry adults and kids.  It took me an entire exhausting day to prepare for just three!

The Menu

Turkey
Stuffing
Sweet potato casserole
Roasted winter root vegetables
Cranberry sauce
Rolls
Chocolate truffle pie
Apple pie with salted caramel sauce
Pumpkin cannolis
Chocolate chip cookies

Did I mention there were three of us?  I think I over-prepared.  A lot.  But leftovers are the best part of Thanksgiving, right?  I believe it now, but since neither my dad nor brother took a lot of leftovers home with them, I'm sure I'll be singing a different tune in a few days.

Recipes and commentary coming soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment