Gentle reader and friend Erica answered my plea for easy recipes and came through with chicken fajitas. They were definitely easy, and very tasty!
Erica's Mom's Chicken Fajitas
- 1 lb chicken, cut into thin strips
- 1 cup mild garden salsa
- 1 1/2 cup peppers, sliced
- 1/2 cup sliced scallions or onions
- 2 tbsp oil of choice (I used canola, it's what we had in the pantry.)
- 8 8" tortillas, warmed
- toppings! (guacamole, sour cream, shredded cheese, etc.)
- Cut chicken into thin strips.
Raw chicken is GROSS. I didn't cut it as thin as I probably should have because I wanted the experience to be over with.
- Marinate the chicken in the salsa for 30 minutes in the refrigerator.
Crap, should've read that part before I decided I was starving.
- Slice peppers and onions.
- Cook peppers and onions in skillet over medium high heat in oil for ~5 minutes.
Husband chopped up a few cloves of garlic and threw them in after I took this. We are garlic freaks.
- Remove peppers and onions (and garlic) with a slotted spoon.
- Dump chicken into skillet.
- Cook, stirring constantly until meat is cooked.
See above about being starving and not cutting the chicken into thin enough strips. I was getting cranky around this point.
- Add peppers and onions (and garlic) back to skillet, heat through.
- Serve in tortillas with your toppings!
In case you don't know how to fold a tortilla.
I've made guacamole before, but didn't feel like it this time. Guacamole in a pouch just seems... wrong.
Big thanks to Erica! I'm feeling much more confident in my cooking abilities now.