Thursday, April 22, 2010

6,000 chicken fajitas, please.

Don't lie, you know you always pronounce it "fah-jye-tuhs" like Peter Griffin.

Gentle reader and friend Erica answered my plea for easy recipes and came through with chicken fajitas. They were definitely easy, and very tasty!

Erica's Mom's Chicken Fajitas
  • 1 lb chicken, cut into thin strips
  • 1 cup mild garden salsa
  • 1 1/2 cup peppers, sliced
  • 1/2 cup sliced scallions or onions
  • 2 tbsp oil of choice (I used canola, it's what we had in the pantry.)
  • 8 8" tortillas, warmed
  • toppings! (guacamole, sour cream, shredded cheese, etc.)
  1. Cut chicken into thin strips.
    Raw chicken is GROSS. I didn't cut it as thin as I probably should have because I wanted the experience to be over with.
    sliced chicken, pre-marinate

  2. Marinate the chicken in the salsa for 30 minutes in the refrigerator.
    Crap, should've read that part before I decided I was starving.

  3. Slice peppers and onions.

    Pepper fetus!
    pepper fetus!

    sliced peppers

  4. Cook peppers and onions in skillet over medium high heat in oil for ~5 minutes.
    peppers and onions

    Husband chopped up a few cloves of garlic and threw them in after I took this. We are garlic freaks.

  5. Remove peppers and onions (and garlic) with a slotted spoon.

  6. Dump chicken into skillet.

  7. Cook, stirring constantly until meat is cooked.
    See above about being starving and not cutting the chicken into thin enough strips. I was getting cranky around this point.
    cooking the marinated chicken

  8. Add peppers and onions (and garlic) back to skillet, heat through.
    added the peppers and onions back to the skillet

  9. Serve in tortillas with your toppings!

    In case you don't know how to fold a tortilla.
    how to fold a tortilla

    I've made guacamole before, but didn't feel like it this time. Guacamole in a pouch just seems... wrong.
    guac in a pouch
The best part... leftovers! This is only half. I actually tripled the recipe so we could eat them for lunch all week.
leftovers
Big thanks to Erica! I'm feeling much more confident in my cooking abilities now.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How to cut a pepper: place on its side and cut bottom by 1/2 inch. Stand it up now. Cut from top to bottom. When you are done the core should be attached to the stem so chuck it!

    ReplyDelete