Friday, September 21, 2012

Zucchini Bread

People at my office always bring food and leave it in the break room. Cupcakes, pie, doughnuts, you name it. I call it "throwing it to the wolves", and I mean that in the nicest possible way. It always, always disappears quickly.

It's great if you need to get rid of leftovers. My leftover Thanksgiving desserts and Easter candy? Gone by lunchtime on both occasions.

This summer was the summer of zucchini. Bags of it in the break room, multiple times per week. I don't garden, so I don't know... is zucchini a weed? Does it multiply like tribbles? Everyone I know with a garden is always trying to unload extra zucchini. Anyway, I took one, and decided to bake my mom's zucchini bread.

Growing up, Mom also grew way more zucchini than she knew what to do with, so she made zucchini bread. Lots of zucchini bread. She'd give loaves away to everyone, and I'm told it was quite the hot commodity. So much so she published her recipe in my elementary school's PTA cookbook. I still have a copy.

Cute, right?

Zucchini bread is really easy to make. Apart from the zucchini itself, you probably already have all of the ingredients. The only part I hated was the grating. I need a food processor.

I started with this... (That's what she said?)
...and ended with this.
Not pictured: My blood, sweat and tears.
(That's what she said?)

Three cups of grated zucchini from that monster. Mom's recipe uses 2 cups. I honestly expected more from you, zucchini.

Anyway, on to the recipes!

Mom's Zucchini Bread
From my mother

Ingredients:
  • 2 cups flour
  • 2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp baking powder
  • 3 tsp cinnamon
  • 1.5 cups sugar
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 cup oil (substitute unsweetened applesauce for less fat, but note this may increase baking time!)
  • 2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 2 cups grated zucchini

Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350 and lightly grease a standard loaf pan.
  2. Mix together first 4 ingredients and set aside.
  3. Mix next 4 ingredients in a separate bowl.
  4. Add dry ingredients to wet and stir until blended.
  5. Add zucchini.
  6. Bake for 1 hour or until toothpick comes out dry. For me, it took about 1 hour 20 minutes. Zucchini and applesauce are liquidy.
  7. Let cool in pan for a few minutes, then remove from pan and cool on rack. Or, just eat it. I won't judge you.
Mom's bread is on the left. What's on the right, you ask?

Remember that extra cup of grated zucchini? Well, I had a pint of blueberries and the internet, so...

Blueberry Zucchini Bread
From My Baking Addiction

Ingredients:
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil (or unsweetened applesauce)
  • 2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar, lightly packed
  • 1 cup shredded zucchini
  • 3/4 cup all purpose flour
  • 3/4 whole wheat flour
  • 1/2 tsp kosher salt
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/8 tsp baking powder
  • 1.5 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 cup fresh blueberries

I initially scoffed at the need for 2 flours, but you'll note at the link above, the author says to use whatever you have on hand. In other words, chill.

Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350 and lightly grease a standard loaf pan.
  2. In a large bowl, beat together eggs, oil/applesauce, vanilla and sugar(s).
  3. Beat in flour(s), salt, baking soda, baking powder, and cinnamon.
  4. Gently fold in blueberries, then pour into loaf pan.
  5. Bake for about an hour, or until toothpick comes out clean. This batter was more fluid than Mom's so it took longer to bake... about an hour and a half for me.
  6. Cool in pan for 15-20 minutes, then remove and cool on rack.


Despite the longer-than-advertised bake times, both breads came out moist and delicious. You can't even taste the zucchini. They'll keep for 5ish days in a plastic container at room temperature, longer in the refrigerator. Chances are you'll finish them long before then.


No comments:

Post a Comment